On 8/9/22 19:08, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 at 17:53, Richard Laager <rlaa...@wiktel.com> wrote:

On 8/9/22 11:38, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
The fast majority of Ubuntu installations boot without initramfs at
all.

What makes you say this? Every Ubuntu system I've ever installed has an
initrd.img-KERNEL_VERSION in /boot. In this context, I'm talking about
systems installed using the stock installers (primarily server, but
desktop was that way last I installed one using the stock installer).

We always generate initrd.img and use it as fallback if/when
initrd-less boot fails. The vast majority of Ubuntu boots are
successful without initrd, for example almost all Ubuntu Public Cloud
images.

Ah ok, I don't know how cloud installations work. Interesting! Do you have a pointer to some docs somewhere? I was really assuming that kind of everything uses initramfs/initrd nowadays.

Thanks,
Bernd