A terminal-based variant of update-manager would be particularly useful for Ubuntu Server, as it does not use a desktop environment by default as required by update-manager (the "graphical management of software packages updates").

On 2023-05-19 03:12, David Hedlund wrote:

On 2023-05-19 02:06, David Hedlund wrote:

I expect that there are some useful terminal packages or script that are performing the same thing as the update-manager GUI. If you are aware of any such solution, please give me the name of the software.

If not, then it would be useful to make a clone of update-manager that could be either part of, or packaged, for Ubuntu. Just to try it out, I wrote a bash script (just execute it, and run the alias `u` to try it), see the attached file. However, I'm not satisfied with it, because it's not yet a full-feathered /clone/ of update-manager:

 Which commands are executed when:

I just submitted: Feature request: List executed commands in "Details" - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/2020140

But it does not solve the main issue of the subject of this mail.

* update-manager is opened:

    * I'm confident that this is the first executed command: sudo apt-get -y update

    * Then packages are listed, exactly which command is executed to figure this out?

* The "Install Now" button is clicked on. Examples, which of these commands are executed, and in which order (please quote with source code and file names as references)?:

apt-get upgrade

apt-get dist-upgrade

apt autoremove

apt clean

apt full-upgrade

Is something else executed?

* /var/run/reboot-required is used to determine if the GUI should display a button used to restart the distro

UpdateManager.py[1]

# file that signals if we need to reboot
REBOOT_REQUIRED_FILE = "/var/run/reboot-required"