On Wed, May 17, 2023, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> We had similar dilemma around focal release. And I did SRU one off upgrade
> from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1. it was a minor disaster. (As in like the sad
> depressing songs in A minor scale).
>
> It is best to stick to one openssl version in a release.
>
> It is best to stick to longer supported one.
>
> It is best not to chase minor ones that nobody will use or want long term.

Note that experimental currently has 3.1 (yes, it's experimental and it
doesn't have to go anywhere else).

I need to get in touch with the team on the debian side and ask them
their plans regarding versions support.

> Mantic is open for development, and usually optimisations are fairly
> standalone. Even if upstream is not backporting performance optimisations -
> we can do so, and have done that for x86, s390x, ppc64el, arm64 in the
> past. If there are high priority optimisations that we want in our openssl
> we should attempt backports of those onto current openssl release we ship
> in mantic.
>
> Note, we would have to then monitor for regressions & security fixes to
> those optimisation backports.

Unfortunately, the optimisations currently being added don't seem very
standalone since they're frequently architectural ones (see the end of
this message).

Even benchmarking might be non-trivial. For instance, one of the current
issue seem to be locking and lock contention: properly benchmarking such
changes requires a good test environment and possibly extra hardware.

I had thought about making a PPA for newer versions in order to make it
easier for people to execute their own benchmark with them. That's maybe
the only way to gather more feedback on the performance changes.

> On Wed, 17 May 2023, 21:35 Adrien Nader, <adr...@notk.org> wrote:

> > and

> > release

> > > I'd rather we stick with an OpenSSL LTS release, as that is possibly what
> > > others distros will be using and we will be able to collaborate on fixes
> > > once the upstream support goes away.
> >
> > OK. I don't have strong opinions on this, especially since I'm not the
> > one who will be pushing security updates.
> >
> > My main concern is a possible backlash, especially since 3.0's
> > performance is sometimes a lot worse than 1.1's and that there won't be
> > a newer version in a Ubuntu LTS before 26.04 (
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openssl/+bug/2009544 is one
> > example ).
> >

> Can this be cherry picked into mantic?

The changes is +328,-127 lines. I'm not even sure it doesn't depend on
other changes (read: I think it does). If you look at the discussion at
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/20286 (it's fairly long), you
will see there are other proposed changes and it's not over yet. There
are also other discussions with their own set of patches too.

As far as I understand, a lot of this is due to the new software
architecture in openssl 3. It's slower than 1.1 due to the design and
since we're early in the life of 3.y, there are many rather-low-hanging
fruits. This causes a lot of churn.

Overall this is probably a lot of work: on the order of weeks if not
months to catch up and several days a month to keep up-to-datei (there
are 1607 commits between 3.0.0 and 3.1.0). It doesn't look like upstream
is trying to include performance improvements in 3.0.z releases.

--
Adrien