On Tue, 2023-06-27 at 15:31 -0400, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> I want to know transfer statistics, i.e., max speed, min speed, avg
> speed when I copy to/from a usb device to/from hdd/ssd.
> Please enhance cp utility to provide this info.  A cmdline switch could
> request this report.

Hi,

the Internet provides a lot of alternative Linux commands in reply to
similar request's as yours. While you can get the wanted statistics,
those statistic gain you absolutely nothing, they will confuse you,
since such statistics do suffer from the same issue as a diff does, to
check the integrity of backups. Files might or might not be cached.

Benchmark tests are disputed, but there are certainly very good
scientifically based tests. If you would use rsync instead of copy, you
could get the wanted, but quite useless kB/s information.

How to do good benchmark tests has to do a lot with the skills of the
person doing the tests. Apart from the cache I provide another example
later.

> While shopping for usb cables, I discovered MOST USB cables are only
> capable of usb 2.0 speeds (480 Mbps).

I don't experience the same. IOW it probably depends where you go
shopping for USB cables.

> I need more info from utilities and widgets.
> Can a usb driver detect the capabilities (transfer speed) of a usb
> device/cable?

Checking the quality of a cable is tricky what ever tools/"meters" you
are using. It's possible to get reported information from a device, but
you cannot trust this information. The f3 tool for example can be used
to check if the reported size is correct or a fraud.

However, back to the speed and another example that make good benchmark
tests that difficult. USB3 unlikely is a bottleneck, more likely it's a
HDD behind the USB controller. Only buy HDDs if the dealer provides
information, if the HDD is a SMR or CMR. Note, the vendors started
selling HDDs from the same series that once were CMR, since a long time
ago as SMR. When using SMR the speed varies a lot.

Testing SSD speed is also a topic on its own. What are you doing that
SSD speed is that important to you? If SSDs should be a bottleneck, then
maybe you need to change your workflow or your setup (file system,
options, tmpfs etc.).

> The industry is getting away with obfuscation.

Yes and no, this is a topic on its own. Sometimes it's also related to
consumers who don't want to learn the truth. If you buy the most
expensive camera, but the cheapest lenses, the photos are much likely
less good than those made with the cheapest camera, but the most
expensive lenses. John and Jane consumer usually buy every now and than
a new camera in a bundle with kit lenses, instead to keeping the old
camera and buying decent lenses for the old camera.

Regards,
Ralf