On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 at 12:34, Adrien Nader <adr...@notk.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > Our timelines of support are also longer than either shorter or longer
> > upstream support timelines.
>
> The point is that security updates require work and using a version that
> no other distribution uses (which will always be the case unless other
> distribution release dates align with Ubuntu's) prevents sharing the
> work with other distributions. This was stated earlier (months ago) in
> this thread. I don't know how that played out in hindsight. That would
> be an interesting thing to know.
>
> Even if we're not on the same point version as other distributions,
> there is still a lot of common things, especially for typical security
> patches, and lots of testing in common. I don't think the patches are
> very difficult to port across versions (except the ones which porting is
> horribly painful) but QA and verification are another matter. Keep in
> mind that 3.0 was a big release with many architectural changes and this
> has continued in 3.1 and 3.2. There are certainly fewer and fewer
> changes but I don't think I would call these changes uncommon yet.
>
> Finally, Ubuntu is not the only distribution with longer support than
> openssl's five years for LTS: there can still be cross-distro
> cooperation after these years, and it will actually be even more
> valuable.
>
> > > can safely bet there will be one before 26.04 and update to the most
> > > recent version for 24.10 (since by 26.04, the current LTS won't be
> > > supported anymore). However we can't really bet there will be one by
> > > 24.04 and even if there were, there probably wouldn't be a new one in
> > > time by 26.04.
> > >
> > > What you are asking for is equivalent to not using openssl LTS releases
> > > for Ubuntu LTS releases.
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > There are many more non-LTS releases so we're
> > > more likely to end up with a non-LTS version.
> > >
> > > Openssl time-based releases are very very recent.
> >
> > We did ship the first KDE time-based release when it came out for the
> > first time.
>
> KDE, especially in Ubuntu, is far less risky than openssl. It is also
> updated far more easily.
>
> I've been trying to make an SRU for openssl for several months now and
> it hasn't landed yet. I'm not blaming anyone here: there are tons of
> reasons for that (including the fact that I don't have the bandwidth to
> re-spin something at the moment).
>
> The fact is that today we're not able to update openssl for anything
> except security updates. In other words, no matter what the openssl
> maintainer puts in a release, that maintainer won't have anything to do
> with it after the release: only the security team will. That makes me
> completely uncomfortable with using a release without some kind of
> agreement with the security team. Using the most recent version would
> make my life easier but I don't think it's the right trade-off here.
>
> By the way, I don't know how that would play with FIPS: I'm not sure it

We do our own FIPS certification, and we do it based on whichever
version we ship, with staff & cert team working on that. We have
certified OpenSSL as needed for our purposes, irrespective of the
upstream FIPS efforts, due to the ways we make api & abi compatible
drop-in replacement without any need to change any runtime configs.

So far FIPS team will certify whatever noble will ship.

> > > This was announced
> > > late August and only one version was released under this model so far.
> > > It wasn't even on time. The delay was fairly small, especially for a
> > > first version using this model (and a change mid-cycle). I think they
> > > need a bit more time. Will they be late again? Will they continue this
> > > scheme? What else? I don't expect openssl upstream can answer these;
> > > they don't have enough hindsight yet.
> > >
> > > We talked about creating a new "openssl" package that is whatever the
> > > most recent version is (in universe, and probably with no ESM-guarantee
> > > attached somehow). This might need a bit of fiddling with packaging
> > > though and in any case, I've had absolutely no time to do that so far.
> > >
> > > Would such a package fit the needs you see?
> >
> > Only one version, the latest openssl, in every Ubuntu release, going
> > forward.
> >
> > Shipping two openssl in the archive is extremely difficult and ends up
> > being unusable. Devel packages previously have not been coinstallable
> > and even if they are it is impossible to get a consistent build
> > environment that can build either or both openssl versions, leading to
> > extremely bad user experience. For example inability to compile
> > scripting language native extensions as part of container builds and
> > the like - prime past example
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nodejs/+bug/1794589
>
> Thanks for the link. I was expecting some troubles around that approach
> but didn't know this had already happened.
>
> > > Otherwise, really, I think
> > > your question is equivalent to not using openssl LTS releases which
> > > would be a big departure from the current position.
> >
> > It is not a departure - as we have done that before. It will be an
> > overall performance saving by reducing the number of HWE SRUs that
> > would end up doing anyway. At the cost of increased security
> > maintenance - but even that is not too obvious, as often security
> > fixes affect only a subset of upstream series.
>
> Which HWE SRUs?

Backports from later point releases; or openssl master branch to
enable optimisations and hw acceleration on s390x, ppc64le, arm64,
amd64 - either during development release of ubuntu, and/or in SRUs as
well.

--
Dimitri

Sent from Ubuntu Pro