On 11/15/2010 05:53 PM, Allison Randal wrote:
> The fortnightly Tech Board meeting is tomorrow, and the ARB is conscious
> of the fact that we're already a couple weeks out from UDS, and still
> blocking all applications in our queue. So we're submitting this for
> discussion in the meeting, with the understanding that we still have
> details on specific technologies to sort out, which they might request
> to be listed in detail for the next Tech Board meeting, or make a
> general decision and delegate the details to the ARB.

Good initial conversation at the Tech Board meeting this morning, with a
decision postponed to the next meeting (largely we just ran out of
time). To summarize:

- Generally in favor of /opt install exceptions where absolutely
necessary (not formally approved yet).

- Some pushback on allowing Python applications and their
application-specific libraries to install outside /opt. They're willing
to skip generating .pyc files and Python version symlinks (just for
Maverick), if it means we can install in /opt. We have a workaround that
may allow us to get by in Maverick without this exception.

- They suggested /opt/ubuntu/<appname> instead of /opt/extras/<appname>
as the private install location, with the note that (respecting the FHS)
we need to register the provider name with LANANA, and "ubuntu" is more
sensible in that general context than "extras".

Allison