On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:51:29AM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I think this seriously under values the many benifits of your proposal.  The
> concern I have with defaulting a new question to yes the first time it
> appears
> is that if someone has a standard preseed they are using this will change
> what
> they get installed and they will never see the question (If I understand how
> all this works correctly and that's not certain).

You are in general correct.  (There are some workarounds for that kind
of thing, but they're nasty and not particularly robust.)

> I would propose that the question should at least exist in an LTS release
> with
> a conservative default (no in this case) before defaulting to the less
> conservative default.  My thought would be to do all as you propose, except
> leave it as default No for now and then consider swtiching to yes in 12.10.

My counter-proposal would be to see how things work out with the
openssh-server task at the top of tasksel's menu, as it now is in Natty.
We haven't given that enough time (there hasn't even been a milestone
containing it yet!) to see how it works out for server users.

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwat...@ubuntu.com]