Hi,

I am going to rewrite update-maintainer (it's in the ubuntu-dev-tools
package) to use python-debian. Looking at the current version, I am not
sure what this tool should exactly do.

I think update-maintainer should do following:

1) Check if "ubuntu" is in the Debian version. Go on to the next step if
yes, otherwise say "Not an Ubuntu package - Nothing to do." and exit.

2) Check if the Maintainer email address has a "@ubuntu.com" or
"@lists.ubuntu.com". Go on to the next step if no, otherwise say
"Already maintained by Ubuntu" and exit.

3) Move the maintainer from the "Maintainer" to
"XSBC-Original-Maintainer" field and set "Ubuntu Developers
<ubuntu-devel-disc...@lists.ubuntu.com>" as new Maintainer.

Did I oversee something? Is there a use case that is not covered? Any
other comments? If I receive no comments, I will JFDI [1] and release it
with the next upload of ubuntu-dev-tools.

[1] Just Do It.

--
Benjamin Drung
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com) | Debian Maintainer (www.debian.org)