On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:06 AM, James Westby <jw+deb...@jameswestby.net> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> One thing that isn't clear from your mail is if all substring matching
> on package names is out.
>
> For instance would searching for "gcc" get you results from "gcc-4.4"
> and "gcc-4.5"?

I was proposing to nuke the substring search entirely. Moving to a
prefix search may bring most of the benefits - its not currently
indexed, but I can get an experiment done fairly cheaply. That would
mean searching for 'gcc' would find all bugs in gcc-4.4 and gcc-4.5
etc. The package name matching is currently done via an ILIKE %search%
query. It even does ILIKE when multiple words are passed in  -
something that is pretty pointless.

Another thing to consider -
https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/268508 - is a bug filed
about how this search is *a problem* rather than a benefit.

Given the fairly low key response to this thread, I'm going to blog on
the Launchpad blog about this issue, and based on the results to that
post go ahead (or not) and fix bug 268508 by disabling this part of
the search.

-Rob