On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 19:01 -0800, Clint Byrum wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 14:22 -0500, Chuck Short wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > During the Ubuntu Server Team meeting I brought up the agenda item of
> > upgrading mysql 5.1 in main to mysql 5.5. There are several reasons to
> > do this:
> >
> > * Its faster compared to mysql 5.1 (although I dont have any benchmarks)
> > * There are more bug fixes for mysql 5.5.
> > * Amazon is using it on the cloud images.
> > * Packages are nearly ready to be uploaded.
> > * Easier to maintain going forward.

First off, I have no opinion on which is better. The one that will most
greatly benefit our users is likely the best choice, especially at this
point in the cycle.

> As excited as I am to get to 5.5 on natty (I have done most of the
> initial packaging work to handle the build conversion from automake to
> cmake), there seems to be at least one major gotchya in 5.5.8:
>
> http://bugs.mysql.com/59078
>
> They've marked it as "not a bug" .. but its very clear to me that
> they've broken ABI compatibility without bumping SONAME. They're even
> telling people that this non-bug requires users to re-compile everything
> against 5.5 to get things to work.
>
> They've also made libmysqlclient thread safe, eliminating the need for
> the separate libmysqlclient_r. The way they've implemented that is also
> broken:
<snip>
Since this is considered 'not a bug' by upstream, it seems unlikely that
they are going to fix it on their own. Perhaps the server team or others
in the server community can enlighten them.

> That said, as long as we're ok with having 5.1 and 5.5 in main, the
> libraries from 5.1 work *perfectly fine* to access a 5.5 server, so we
> can just hold the client libraries back until they figure that mess out.

Mysql is very difficult to maintain in stable releases and we have tried
very hard in the past to have only one version of mysql supported per
release (eg, 5.0 dropped to universe when 5.1 entered into karmic).
Having both 5.1 and 5.5 in main is a major red flag for the security
team, and the MIR for 5.5 will need to demonstrate why the benefits of
this outweigh the support costs.

Based on the above, I recommend getting 5.5 into universe so people can
play with it (being very careful about the client libraries!), then
working with Debian and upstream to see what it will take to get 5.5
into acceptable shape for the upcoming LTS (and ideally for natty+1).

--
Jamie Strandboge             | http://www.canonical.com