On Tuesday, February 22, 2011 11:51:02 am Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:14:56AM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > One point I don't understand is why people insist they need to leave work
> > in progress on the official branch?  bzr is a DVCS, so why don't people
> > make their own branch and then only push to the official branch when it
> > is, in fact, ready for upload.
>
> Because it's not work in progress, it's changes that are per se correct and
> ready for upload that may not justify an upload yet (or may not be
> uploadable at the time due to freezes, etc).  They're pushed to the
> official branch to indicate that they should be included in the next
> upload, whenever that is.

OK.  That makes sense.

> > If we did it that way, then pushing to the official branch could be
> > limited to people who could upload the package, build from branch could
> > be triggered by the push, and there'd be no problem with dput uploads
> > overwriting work in progress.
>
> So where, in this plan, do you intend to stage merges of work when several
> people are working on the package in parallel?  Where should I push
> upload-ready but insufficient changes, to ensure they're picked up by
> whoever does the next upload?

I'm not sure what the best place would be.

> I'm not opposed to the idea of having merge branches and deployment
> branches - in fact I suggested something like this earlier in the thread,
> only with the existing UDD branches as the merge branches rather than the
> deployment branches - but this model definitely requires that we have both
> and that they're well-documented and we're (largely) consistent in their
> use.

I think separating merge branches and deployment branches has the potential to
avoid a number of problems, particularly the problem of dput uploads over-
writing work in progress.  It may, however, cause more problems than it solves
since there would need to be a canonical location to stage merges that people
would have to look at.  My suspicion is that would still be better since
people who are ignoring UDD won't cause problems and the odds of people who
are actively participating in UDD following a new convention are better than
the odds for people who aren't.

Scott K