Thanks for the feedback Scott! Appreciate you giving it a read. I know
there's a lot there.

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 15:11 -0700, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 2:34 PM, James Hunt <james.h...@canonical.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Clint and I have been hard at work on an "Upstart Cookbook".
> Although it
> > is "early days", we wanted to let you all know we're working on this
> > project. Our (still *very* draft!) efforts can be viewed here:
> >
> Nice work, some comments on the copy of 1-4 below:
>
>         Although Upstart is used on on a number of different Operating
>         Systems (including Ubuntu, Google's Chromium OS and Google's
>         Chrome OS), the Ubuntu version is considered the "reference
>         implementation". This is primarily due to the fact that
>         Upstart was written specifically for Ubuntu (although this
>         does not mean that it cannot run on any other Linux-based
>         system).
>

> I'd disagree with this. Reference implementation always implies that
> other implementations should copy it as much as possible, and Ubuntu
> is no way that. As long as Ubuntu still uses a hybrid of Sys V and
> Upstart jobs, it can never be a reference implementation.
>

> It may be that you mean what the document corresponds to, in which
> case use a different term ;-)

Good point. I would have to agree that the use of the term "reference
implementation" is incorrect. I don't know of a term that best describes
what it is succinctly.

How about "The most complete implementation of the intended use of
Upstart." ?

>         A notification sent by Upstart to all interested parties
>         (either jobs or other events). They can be thought of as
>         "signals". Events are emitted(created and then broadcast) to
>         the entire Upstart system.
>
> Events can be more than just signals, I've made a point of documenting
> this recently, so this just confuses the issue.
>       * Events are like Signals
>       * Events are like Methods
>       * Events are like Hooks
> Scott

I went ahead and made this change, which should show up on the website
soon:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~upstart-documenters/upstart-cookbook/trunk/revision/30

As I'm sure there will be a lot of minor corrections that don't warrant
discussion here, we've configured a bug tracker here for the cookbook:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/upstart-cookbook