On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Rick Spencer <rick.spen...@canonical.com> wrote:
> 1. There are key feature regressions, for example, there is no systray
> support for many important applications.

As an application developer that tries to do our best to stay atop the
constantly-shifting platform (:P), what is the recommendation for what
to do about this?

(Chrome shows a systray icon when it has gone into "background" mode:
no visible windows, but still running.  This allows extensions and
apps to work in an "offline" fashion; e.g. a mail notifier can tell
you you have new mail, and clicking would bring up a browser window.)

PS: I would love it if you published some guidelines about how to port
apps to Unity.  Maybe these exist?  I haven't looked around too hard.
We don't have quite the resources to track what everyone's doing these
days so we mostly learn about problems after users start telling us
everything is broken in that we don't follow the new rules of e.g.
Gnome 3.  (Most Chrome devs use tiling window managers; I personally
switched to a vanilla Ubuntu install in an attempt to stay on top of
breakage for at least one platform...)