Hello,

First of all, I hope that I am addressing this email to the appropriate list
and people; if not, please forward it to the appropriate place or inform me
where I should send it.

As everybody is probably already knowing, the Ubuntu Developer Summit for
Oneiric is being held next week. Thus, I would like to take the opportunity to
draw the attention to a few points of particular interest:

1) Onscreen keyboard

Browsing around, I found the following log of an irc session and would like to
remind onboard's features for the case there will be a discussion at UDS about
replacing it with another onscreen keyboard:
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/04/07/%23ubuntu-accessibility.html#t09:23

- Onboard does not need at-spi to run: indeed, it is an onscreen keyboard
suitable for pointer users (tabletpc users, disabled users,...), that can use
it for their typing. I don't think that it is worth requiring users to run
at-spi in order to run a simple onscreen keyboard. (Requiring an onscreen
keyboard to use at-spi would also make it impossible to work out of the box as
at-spi is not enabled by default.)

Remark: I think that we should distinguish between users that require an
onscreen keyboard but are able to control the mouse, and users that require an
onscreen keyboard but are not able to use a mouse, like people using one or
more switches to control the computer. The latter probably need an onscreen
keyboard able to interact with the GUI like GOK, or caribou once it gets
finished... (GOK was not good adapted for pointer users, which was one of the
reasons for the development of onboard.)

- It is usable out of the box at GDM and the desktop (if its desktop files were
not patched by the Ubuntu dev to be hidden);it also supports the unlocking of
the screen; for example after the screensaver has taken over.

- It is possible to perform "virtual modifiers + click" actions, for example to
do multiple selections using the shift or control modifier and the mouse.

- The keyboard layout is defined by xml and svg files, allowing users to define
their own layouts.

- Onboard is currently getting a facelift supporting the use of themes in order
to improve its look and making it easier to adapt to the look of the
distribution. You might have a look at the following webpage where I posted a
few screenshots of what is possible with the new facelift:
http://webplaza.pt.lu/frafu/index.html

2) Display manager

I have come accross the following blueprint for oneiric:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-lightdm

Does this mean that LightDM is going to replace GDM?

I just ran a test session in natty where I replaced GDM with the LightDM
display manager available in the repository, but I did not get beyond the login
screen, because there was no explicit way to enable an onscreen keyboard...

There is already a little menu to increase the font size and set high contrast.
Thus, I would like to ask whether this menu could not be enhanced with more
accessibility features; maybe also turning it into a dialog. A starting point
might be the accessibility features available in the GDM accessibility dialog.

However, even the accessibility dialog of GDM is lacking at least one
accessibility tool: dwelling.

3) Dwelling

GNOME and consequently Ubuntu are shipping mousetweaks, a software package
providing the dwelling fonctionality already for several cycles, but both
distributions are still lacking a way for dwell users to autonomly enable
dwelling.

Until Ubuntu maverick, the problem could be partly solved for the desktop
session by adding the dwell applet to the gnome-panel. (The dwell applet
allowed the user to enable and disable dwelling without having to perform any
click with the mouse; it also allowed the user to indicate to the dwelling
feature, what click type to automatically perform after the dwelling timeout.)

What about enhancing the accessibility menu or dialog-icon so that it gets
activated also by dwelling with the pointer on it (apart from activating it by
a click); of course, the accessibility menu or dialog would also have to
contain an item to enable dwelling by only hovering with the pointer on that
item.

This would solve the dwell problem for the login screen. Something similar
would be necessary in the desktop session. For example, also providing a
dwellable accessibility menu or dialog-icon in the panel of the desktop session.

I can imagine that an accessibility menu might not be very welcome by default
on the top panel of Unity, so a more subtle approach might be more appropriate:
only show the accessibility menu or dialog-icon by default in the desktop
session, when an accessibility feature has been enabled during login.

I am remaining vague here on purpose because I don't want to fix the design of
how a user can autonomly enable dwelling in a way that might not suit the Unity
designer. The main purpose here is to offer dwell users an intuitive and
obvious way to enable the dwelling feature by themselves.

Cheers,

Francesco