On 5/10/2011 10:31 PM, Chow Loong Jin wrote:
Sorry, but this sounds really ridiculous right now. If systemd really prevents
the creation of background processes that disconnect themselves from the task
that init originally spawned, there's something seriously wrong with systemd,
and I think we really shouldn't adopt it in Ubuntu, much less for the upcoming
LTS.

SySV init always killed all processes when switching to runlevel 1. It was a bit kludgy though because it just did a killall as the last step before starting up runlevel 1 jobs, rather than just shutting down all jobs in the current runlevel that are not also marked for runlevel 1.

The whole point of init is that it monitors what processes are running on the system and makes sure that those that are not supposed to be running in a given runlevel are not. The fact that some processes can hide from init during some runlevel transitions is a bug, not a feature.