On Wed, 4 May 2011 14:27:18 +0100, Colin Watson <cjwat...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> == Auto-importer changes (bzr history only) ==
>
> These happen when the source package as uploaded doesn't quite match the
> branch (often things like differences in an autogenerated
> debian/control), or when the branch wasn't properly tagged before
> upload.  I generally follow the rule of thumb that I merge just the
> history (with 'bzr merge BRANCH; bzr revert .') if the extra history has
> things like extra contributor credit not reflected in the auto-imported
> branch, and reject it if it doesn't really add anything substantial.
>
> In some cases the branch really does have extra commits not reflected in
> the auto-import branch (this happens if somebody had committed to
> lp:ubuntu/foo but not uploaded, and somebody else uploaded something
> else independently), but I didn't see any cases of that today.

Hi Colin,

Thanks for explaining this. It seems that the reason for these merge
proposals was insufficiently clear. In order to help with that I have a
change to the importer to add some (hopefully) clear instructions to the
description when it creates them in future. I'll commit this when I get
off the plane.

If anyone sees any issues with the importer (and that includes things
like poor documentation or unclear actions that it takes) then please
file a bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/udd.

We would appreciate everyone's help in improving the service so that it
only creates merge proposals when needed by filing bugs when it creates
extra ones.

Thanks,

James