On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 15:19 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 02:00:50PM -0400, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> > > Is there any reason that they have to be in the squashfs image to get that
> > > effect?  I know that's how it's architected today, but would it actually
> > > be
> > > a better experience to have a much smaller squashfs that needs to be
> > > unpacked, to which the correct language pack is applied on-the-fly as soon
> > > as we know what language the user has selected?
>
> > > Is this worth exploring?
>
> > It's actually how I planned to fix it for Edubuntu :)
>
> Oh, well cool ;)
>
> > The idea was to check if the user chose something else than English and
> > if so prompt them in Xsession (while we can still change $LANG).
> > They'd then have the choice to either install the langpack and get a
> > translated live session (if they have enough RAM for that) or continue
> > in English and only have ubiquity translated.
>
> I wouldn't like this to result in any additional prompts; we should be able
> to auto-install these for the user based on their language selection in
> either the bootloader (in which case casper can do the setup), or in
> ubiquity-dm.

Yeah, I don't plan on prompting the user for their language again, the
prompt would be to give a chance for low-memory users to opt-out of the
additional memory usage.

As in my experience, it's really easy to trigger out-of-memory kills in
the live environment by installing just a few megs of packages.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer