On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 03:23:57PM +0100, Julian Edwards wrote:
> On Thursday 16 June 2011 14:08:14 Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> > * is the current page only tracking Debian unstable? GNOME3 is in
> > experimental still in Debian and for desktop work we are interested to
> > track experimental and not unstable, is there any way to do that?
>
> Each series can only track one set of parent distros at once, unfortunately.
> We did put in a way of changing to a different parent when opening a new
> series, which will be useful for LTSes.

The particular workflow Sebastien is referring to here is that
frequently, on a case-by-case basis, we want to sync from Debian's
experimental tree to pull in changes they're not yet ready to put into
unstable but that we know we want in Ubuntu.  (With Debian being more of
a rolling release, and Ubuntu more puctuated with freezes and more
tightly cadenced releases, this use case does crop up fairly regularly.)

I do notice this bit in the LEP, which suggests some thought has gone
into this (or a similar?) situation:

  * Allow a derived distribution to have more than one parent
    + Post-initialisation, add more parents so that they appear in the
      list of differences

Bryce