On 07/21/2011 11:48 AM, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Chase Douglas
> <chase.doug...@canonical.com> wrote:
>> On 07/21/2011 11:17 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>>> All of that is equally true for any upstream work.  Should all postgresql
>>> developers be Ubuntu members?  If not, then why Unity developers?
>>
>> I believe all upstream developers of software that is meaningful to
>> Ubuntu (this is subjective) who also apply for membership and go through
>> the process should be acceptable for Ubuntu membership. If you have gone
>> through the process you are showing that you are interested in
>> contributing to Ubuntu. There's no short-cut here, you still have to
>> prepare an application, receive endorsements, and be reviewed by the
>> board. But I feel upstream contributions should be enough under certain
>> circumstances to warrant membership.
>
> For regular membership or developer membership? Neither is for "I'm
> interested in contributing."  Both are for "I'm already contributing
> to Ubuntu."  For regular membership, we tend to expect some level of
> involvement with a LoCo team or mailing list or IRC or other form of
> tech support, maybe writing documentation, translating, etc.

I don't mean to say that mere "interest" in contributing is enough. But
if someone has been active in an upstream project that Ubuntu has
benefited from, then showing interest in direct Ubuntu development could
be taken into account for membership.

Maybe you could count a new contributor with 1 year of upstream
contributions to a core Ubuntu package plus a month or so of Ubuntu
packaging/bug triage/etc. of Ubuntu work as enough to merit membership.

It's just not very fun if there's this wall put up in front of
contributors saying: unless you fit into one of these 5 classes of
contributors, you can't be a member. All I'm advocating for is
flexibility in the process and the requirements where it makes sense.

-- Chase