Hi All,

Job logging was temporarily disabled recently in the Ubuntu Upstart package
when we discovered a
corner case the tests did not take account of [1]. The problem is now fixed and
we have extended the
tests to guard against regressions in this area [2].

I've put the latest code in a PPA to allow for further testing before we
consider re-enabling job
logging for all.

If you would like to help with this important testing, read on...

Getting the Latest Build
------------------------

  1) Enable the ppa:jamesodhunt/upstart-job-logging PPA [3].
  2) Install Upstart version '1.4-0ubuntu5~jh'.
  3) Boot adding '--log' on the grub command line (you _must_ do this to enable
logging!)
  4) Poke around in /var/log/upstart/ and check CPU+mem usage.
  5) Provide feedback.

Limitations
-----------

Jobs that _end_ prior to a writable log partition being available (around the
time the 'filesystem'
event is emitted [4]) will not have their data logged. I'm reworking a patch to
remove this
limitation...

Thanks for your help! Again, remember to boot with '--log' for the time being
if you want your job
output logged!

Kind regards,
--
James Hunt

[1] - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/upstart/+bug/922754
[2] - This brings the total number of Upstart tests to 1066 (excluding the 2846
NIH tests).
[3] - https://launchpad.net/~jamesodhunt/+archive/upstart-job-logging
[4] - upstart-events(7) -
http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/#ubuntu-well-known-events-ubuntu-specific