On 02/21/2012 01:28 AM, Daniel Holbach wrote:
Hello,

On 06.02.2012 11:11, Daniel Holbach wrote:
GSoC2012 has been announced [1]. The timeline for the initiative is up
as well [2]. Relevant next dates are:

  * February 27 19:00 UTC:
    Mentoring organizations can begin submitting applications to Google.
  * March 9 23:00 UTC
    Mentoring organization application deadline.
  * March 12-15:
    Google program administrators review organization applications.
  * March 16 19:00 UTC
    List of accepted mentoring organizations published on the Google
    Summer of Code 2012 site.

As you all know, last year our application was unsuccessful, which is
why I'd like us all to collaborate on putting Ubuntu's application as a
mentoring organisation together.

As far as I recall the particular point which was problematic the last
time was a lack of distinct project ideas. Pointing to Ubuntu Brainstorm
or a list of unfinished blueprints is not enough. We need a list of
project ideas we'd be willing to mentor.

There is a check list of things available we need to answer to be able
to apply. [3]

Please help filling out our application. This is important.

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GoogleSoC2012

[1]
http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2012/02/google-summer-of-code-2012-is-on.html
[2] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012
[3]
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs#mentoring_apply
I had a number of conversations with a few people already and I think
it's worth clarifying that this cycle I won't have the time to act as
the mentoring organisation liaison (if we should be chosen by Google
this time).

I just felt it important enough to make sure we all try to submit a
great application, so Ubuntu contributors can spend the summer making
Ubuntu better.

So far we have 8 project ideas on the wiki page, we have some bits of
the questionnaire already answered and one person potentially interested
in being a contact person for the mentoring organisation.

Have a great day,
  Daniel

I believe like dholbach that this is a very worthwhile program for Ubuntu to engage in and will benefit not only the mentees but also the Ubuntu Community
and hopefully we can pull this together this year.

--
Benjamin Kerensa                          "I am what I am because
Team Lead, Ubuntu Oregon                  of who we all are." - Ubuntu