On 4/16/12 9:25 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:
Hi Mike,

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:09:19AM -0400, Michael Terry wrote:
On 16/04/12 02:03, Steve Langasek wrote:
And regardless of which we decide to use as the default, both of amd64 and
i386 will continue to be supported architectures for the length of 12.04 LTS
and will remain available for download.

There seems to be an unstated assumption that the default
recommended architecture needs to stay the same throughout the
lifecycle of 12.04 LTS.  Is that true?

I don't see us making such a change for a point release.  First, we don't
typically get CDs pressed of point releases; second, there is going to be
some confusion on the part of users about this change, and I think we can
better mitigate that if changing it as part of .0 instead of as a point
release.

If we end up deciding to stick with i386 for now to better support
common hardware, this question will still be re-evaluated for a
future release.  And when it changes, we could go back and change
the default download link and what is installed on the store USB
sticks for 12.04 LTS.

We could, but I'm pretty sure it's not worth it at that point.

Relatedly, I'm worried about what happens when these 12.04 users upgrade to 14.04. It would be really unfortunate to have them still on 32 bit by that point.

Unless, of course, we have ambitions of supporting automatic cross-architecture upgrades by then.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie