On 4/13/12 7:22 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
I won't be at UDS, so if this is of interest to someone, I would really like
it if someone who is would take the ball and run with it.

Currently build sequence on the buildds is determined (primarily) by a
combination of pocket and component:

https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/BuildScores

In my opinion, one of the major reasons to prioritize builds is to help keep
ISOs buildable.  During non-freeze periods it is not at all rare for flavors
built out of Universe to go days without a successful image build on some
architectures due to archive skew.

I think we should change the scoring model in Launchpad (yes, this would be an
LP change, but I think it should be driven by Ubuntu) to include a
seeded/unseeded element as well.  This would give us more images available for
testing on a regular basis without having to get special respins.

This could either be done by dropping the current component based score
changes and substituting a seeded/unseeded differential or by adding an
additional score differential for seeded-in-ubuntu packages on top of the
existing model.

Scott K

Archive skew is even more pernicious: it can make packages with cross-architecture dependencies (notably Wine) completely uninstallable. Now that multiarch is a thing this will be an increasing problem for anyone testing a devel system with any foreign packages installed.

Could I propose, perhaps radically, that we instead consider not publishing packages for _any_ arch until they have zero build failures/in progress for all their build targets?

Less radically, might I propose we special case i386 and amd64 to work this way (ie, i386 failures/in progress block amd64 publishing)?

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie