Hi Jo-Erland
cc. developers

Just to let you know, I have now installed and tried using 12.04 with
both the classic desktop and Unity.

Using the classic desktop I have found that while the left hand side top
panel options relating to applications, places, etc. are more or less
the same as in 10.04 the right hand side top panel cannot be customised
the same way as it could in 10.04. In addition, the classic desktop
appears not to have a rubbish bin (it was a very useful little app).
Desktop background options no longer provide a link to
www.art.gnome.org/backgrounds leaving very limited options for new users
unless they mount their own pictures as backgrounds. Also, themes are
now very limited both in options and customisation. In addition, the
GNOME application gThumb viewer appears to have a bug that was not
present in the version installed with 10.04 (e.g. slide-show sequencing
out of order).

With regard to trying Unity, I have found the Unity interface provides
too much information and too many options which can cause desktop
confusion and annoyance. When viewing the applications installed, I am
presented with both apps not yet installed together with apps
recommended. These unwanted items clutter the desktop making it
difficult to (as they say) see the wood for trees. If I want an
application that wasn't seen / installed I would search for it at the
Ubuntu Software Centre or use the Synaptic Package Manager.

Overall (without any prejudice, as an independent user for over two
years) I have found Ubuntu 12.04 not as usable / customisable as 10.04
and while it may attract new users who have not had any experience of
10.04, I fear it is very likely to deter existing users who really liked
the 10.04 desktop.

It appears my original email concerns about changing the desktop have
been mostly realised.    Consequently, today, I have downloaded and
installed Debian 6.0.4. My initial findings with Debian are very
favourable in that the desktop is very much as 10.04 and very easy to
customise. My plan now is operate with both Ubuntu 10.04 and Debian as
boot options with the prospect of moving to Debian as the main O/S when
support for 10.04 ends.

If future updates to 12.04 eventually correct my concerns as outlined
above I shall return (as they say).

Best Regards
Len Watts