On Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:33:18 AM Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I'm sympathetic to Matthias's goal to stop using pyshared, and I think his
> intent was to use this change to gather information rather than use the
> breakage to force the package maintainers to change their packages (or for
> Ubuntu to carry deltas in all the packages).  Julian's list seems like a
> good first cut on that information gathering:
>
> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/105736622/pyshared
>
> So it probably makes the most sense at this point to file bugs against each
> of these packages in Ubuntu and Debian (assuming we're not carrying a
> dh_python2 delta, which would be a separate report in itself), and then
> revert the change to unbreak the packages.

Almost forgot ...

It seems to me that making changes that are known to break other packages to
gather data is not consistent with the stated goal of keeping the development
release in a functional state at ~all times.

I disagree that direct references to pyshared are a bug of any kind.

Also, Julian's list was limited to dpmt/papt packages which is a subset of
packages that are affected by this.  IIRC, there are ~400 packages in those
teams, so it hits ~10% of dh_python2 packages based on that sample.  That's a
lot.

Scott K