On 10/07/12 20:41, Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre wrote:
I'd like to enable connectivity checking in NetworkManager. We'd use
http://start.ubuntu.com/connectivity-check.html, running the check
every 5 minutes starting from the connection being established.
start.ubuntu.com has already been in use for a while to verify
connectivity from the installer, IIRC.

Isn't a check every 5 minutes a frequency a bit too high? I mean, if a computer is connected to a "captive portal which catches and redirects requests", then the chances that the connectivity will change during time are very low. In my opinion, having a high frequency will just cause unnecessary wakeups and will show boring data in tools used for network debugging.

Also, what should happen if the connection to start.ubuntu.com times out because of a network congestion? Has this case been discussed? (I wasn't at UDS)