Hi Doug,

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 10:18:36PM -0400, Doug McMahon wrote:
> On 08/27/2012 05:50 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >Do any of you see reasons for not making this change, and dropping the
> >alternate CDs?  Are there shortcomings to the proposed fallback solutions
> >that we haven't identified here?

> Purely from a user/tester perspective a current reason to not remove
> in beta1 is currently for many or most users the live image is
> completely unusable. No live session or install is possible due to
> total video degradation. (quite similar to the
> lightdm/greeter/nvidia issue in 12.04 dev.

The purpose of the alternate CD is to install an Ubuntu desktop.  If the
desktop is not usable for you, then what purpose does it serve to use the
alternate CD instead of the desktop CD?  You're then only testing the
alternate installer itself, which we want to discontinue anyway.  So it
would be better to get rid of it to save testers from spending time doing
such testing!

> The one exception seen here is when the hdd is devoid of any
> Ubuntu/grub/lightdm installs, only then is any recent image viable.
> That though is not a typical scenario for most.

> Maybe this is a well known issue & expected to be resolved, if not
> then removing the alt. installer will prevent many from installing
> the beta or thereabouts if not fixed in the near future.

I don't know if this issue is known to anyone else, but it's not known to
me.  Can you provide a bug number to a report of this issue?

slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org