Michael Terry wrote:
> I imagine the easiest way to avoid this is to namespace the package
> names too.
>
> (Though with namespaced packages, the user can end up in a weird
> situation if the Extras package "foo" does find its way into Debian
> and Ubuntu quantal.  Then, they really do want the "foo" package
> from Debian but are left with the non-maintained "extras-foo" from
> precise.)

    One way to work around these cases would be to have a transitional
extras-foo in quantal-extras, which Depends: on foo, so that upgrading
users would migrate from extras-foo to foo during the upgrade process.
At some point the extras-foo package ought be removed from the system,
but this is true for all the historical transitional packages, and so
better handled as part of a general solution for that class of problem.

--
Emmet HIKORY