Le 05/09/2012 15:30, Scott Kitterman a écrit :
There was a GSOC project in Debian last summer to build a tool that would
create a Debian package for every Python package on PyPi.  The new Ruby policy
is built around gem2deb.  Automatically generating some or all of a package
isn't particularly novel.  I think it's better to focus on getting more good
stuff into Ubuntu than to invent complex new mechanisms to provide packages
that either could have been provided without the mechanisms or aren't of real
benefit to the users.
Those tools are great but don't resolve the problem ... the issue is not to get things in, it's to give the control where it belongs: to upstream.

The current model just create tons of work for us, we do what we can and often at the end get upstream and users angry at us for different reasons: because we sometime make bad calls on what version to use, or get stucked by our resources limitations and let bugs unfixed, or add patches upstream don't agree with, etc.

It does make sense to make some calls for better integration on our main components, but I don't think we have anything to win by getting on the upstream<->user way for every applications out there...

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher