Most of the conversation on the previous thread has been about package
isolation, but I wanted to make sure the other topics in the spec were
also being discussed.

One of our primary goals was to eliminate every bottleneck we could.  To
that end we detailed a series of restrictions, sandboxing and automated
checks that would allow us to trust that these application could not do
any accidental harm to the user or the user's system.  Human
intervention has always become a bottleneck, as man-hours are one
resource we can't scale up as the need arises, so removing that from the
process has been a key driver for this spec.

Besides package isolation, the other important method for protecting our
users is with the mandatory use of an AppArmor profile.  We, together
with the security team, have identified what additional work needs to be
done to provide a trustworthy sandbox for applications, and ways of
informing the user about what access they those applications will need.
 Furthermore the AppArmor profile itself will be generated on our
servers (MyApps) based on the developer's input, and incorporated into
their package automatically.  This assures us that the profile is both
correctly made and correctly installed, without the developer having to
learn how to do it.

The only part of the spec that still uses a human review is in verifying
the identity of the user (though some process yet to be determined).
This is important because, as I mentioned above, the other parts of the
spec are only intended to prevent accidental harm, not intentionally
malicious code. We believe that verifying the identity of the uploader,
so that it is not an anonymous relationship between the uploader and
Ubuntu, should prevent intentional abuse on their part.  If there is a
case of intentional abuse, we would be able to remove that app and
prevent the submitter from using the system again.

--
Michael Hall
mhall...@ubuntu.com