On 11/21/2012 01:41 PM, Phillip Susi wrote:
> On 11/20/2012 5:09 AM, James Hunt wrote:
>> Here is the draft plan for 'Enhanced Upstart User Sessions' ([1]),
>> which will be used to supervise desktop sessions in Ubuntu:
>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam/Specs/RaringUpstartUserSessions
>
>>  = Summary =
>
>> Allow Upstart to run as a non-privileged user to supervise a
>> session in an event-based manner.
>
>> This brings many advantages including:
>
>> - more dynamic and efficient session startup (desktop services only
>> get started *when required*).
> What sort of services are started right now but aren't necessarily
> required?

update-notifier is the main one as it's currently then used to spawn a
variety of other tools (like jockey/ubuntu-drivers).

I also remember someone mentioning some potential optimization of
ubuntuone once we have upstart in the user session along with the file
bridge to detect file changes.

I'd also guess things like nm-applet/gnome-bluetooth-applet would be
changed to start only if the matching system service is started so that
systems where those are disabled won't waste the resource in the user
session.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer