Agreed. We are trying really hard to make Friends work as an event-based daemon
that only runs when it is responding to something, rather than being a
long-running daemon. And we're profiling the hell out of it so that it's not
such a burden when it is running.

But if I had known back when I was hired that mobile was such a huge focus, I
would have advocated for rewriting it in vala, not python.