On Monday, June 06, 2016 12:27:33 PM Stéphane Graber wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 03:17:51PM +0100, Robie Basak wrote:
> > There's a thread here on Ubuntu and systemd-resolved:
> > https://lists.dns-oarc.net/pipermail/dns-operations/2016-June/014964.html
> >

> > It looks like there is some credible criticism here that is worth
> > considering.
>
> They do have some very very good points, my main concerns after reading
> the e-mail above are:
>
>  - Anything which doesn't use the C library resolving functions, which
>    would include any static binary bundling its own copy of those, will
>    fallback to /etc/resolv.conf and not get split DNS information or the
>    desired fallback mechanism.
>
>    This is likely to affect a whole bunch of Go binaries and similar
>    statically built piece of software. It will also, probably more visible
>    affect web browsers who have recently all switches to doing their own
>    DNS resolving.

The Python interpreters have socket.gethostbyname which is, I believe, a thin
layer over the C function, but neither of the two major Python DNS
implmentations (python-dns and dnspython source packages) do.  They parse
/etc/resolv.conf and generate their own queries, so if I understand it
correctly the Python world would end up not even internally consistent.

Scott K