On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox at ubuntu.com

/18.10+: />/* Stop providing i386 port />/* Run legacy i386 only application in
snaps / containers / virtual machines/

In terms of running legacy i386 applications in
snaps / containers / VMs only, Wine is a major user of 32-bit
libraries which I didn't seen mentioned on this thread.  Many of the
apps people run with Wine are legacy 32-bit only Windows applications
where recompiling to 64-bit is simply not an option.

Wine users should be fine using a 64-bit .iso image for install purposes,
but the need to package a full set of 32-bit libraries would be a major
burden for wine packagers.  In particular Wine needs access to the graphics
stack, the 32-bit version of which was mentioned in this thread as possibly
expendable.

By way of disclosure, I am the product manager for CodeWeavers' CrossOver, a
commercial wrapper for Wine.  I think all Wine users would be negatively
impacted
if 32-bit libraries were no longer available from Ubuntu, however.  Please keep
that in mind as you decide when and whether to drop 32-bit libraries or merely
cease building 32-bit install .isos.

We'd really like to have the libraries stick around.

Thanks,

  Josh