On 12/29/2016 02:37 PM, Stéphane Graber wrote:
How can I assign a different name to a dummy interface? Can I freely choose
a name somehow, for example "ippusbxd"? Or have I to use "dummy1", "dummy2",
interface)?

root@castiana:~# ip link add ippusbxd type dummy
root@castiana:~# ip link set ippusbxd up
root@castiana:~# ifconfig ippusbxd
ippusbxd: flags=195<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,NOARP>  mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::3004:2dff:feb6:b5c7  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether 32:04:2d:b6:b5:c7  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 2  bytes 140 (140.0 B)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

Which gets you your own dummy device with its IPv6 link-local address.

Thank you very much. I copied and pasted the commands and got an ifconfig output similar to yours, only with different IP and MAC addresses and different values in the statistics.

Then I tried to bind to the IPv6 IP address of this entry, on port 60000 and this did not work.

Do I have to create an additional IP address? If yes, how? Do I have to run additional commands (route?)? Which ones?

   Till