On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 at 19:08, Sai Vinoba <saivi...@sumati.net> wrote:

> Hi Liam,
> I just want to know if it is not possible for you to allocate around 200-500M
> and mark it as 'EFI System Partition' as the installer is requesting? It
> doesn't require major re-partitioning, doesn't have to be the first
> partition, it can also be extended partition. I checked putting EFI partition
> as an extended partition and it installs and boots properly. Tools like
> Gparted would help you do this without affecting your already existing
> partitions.
>
> That said, if you really don't want to create an EFI parition, you can
> consider using Lubuntu. It uses Calamares, not ubiquity and as such is not
> affected by this bug. I did few BIOS mode (MBR parition) installs today,
> without an EFI partition and it installs and boots without any issue.

I am aware of that (although I was under the impression that it had to
be a primary partition).

The things are this:
• I always run in legacy BIOS mode if I can; it's simpler, more
familiar, and there is less to go wrong;
• Almost all my computers multi-boot 2 or more OSes. Some of the OSes
I use can only be installed in primary partitions, of which one disk
can only have 4 in total;
• If you already have OSes such as DOS or Windows on a computer,
adding a new primary partition can break things; it can also cause
problems such as out-of-order partitions;
• switching from BIOS to UEFI boot mode, or _vice versa_, can cause
recent, UEFI-aware Windows to fail to boot;
• and last but not least, I don't *want* a useless, needless ESP.
• I mainly run old, upgraded copies of Ubuntu with Unity, but also the
new Unity remix. I don't want LXDE or LXQt and don't want Lubuntu. I
prefer Xfce and on other distros use that, and this bug does also
affect Xubuntu; I replicated it myself.

But if all these things were not already true, then even so:

• This is a _new bug_, and did not affect 20.04 on any of my
computers. Indeed after 20.10 failed to install on one, I reinstalled
20.04 without problems;
• If there is some new but valid reason why Ubuntu now _requires_ an
ESP and no ESP is present _then it should create one_;
• legacy-BIOS machines are still common and should be supported; I own
3 or 4 in regular use;
• also, a legacy BIOS is the default config for most hypervisors I have seen.

I find it astonishing that this issue was not picked up in testing --
a clean install in VirtualBox with default settings would exhibit it
-- and that it has been left unattended for nearly 6 months. And as I
have said by providing other links, e.g.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/mpkfv3/error_in_the_install_so_i_was_trying_to_install/

... it is not just me -- it is affecting dozens of other people. 23
people are watching this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1893964

I have been told it's not important, that you can manually install
GRUB, that I am wrong to not want an entirely useless extra partition,
and now to change my default remix and use a different desktop. I
cannot understand this. It's a bug. A bug that will cause installation
to fail on millions of perfectly working PCs that were fine with the
previous version is not a trivial issue.

Today I have received notifications that someone has taken over the
bug and submitted a fix, but it took threads on here, on Discourse and
a post to Hacker News to get some action. This is to me an astonishing
failure in bug triage.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lpro...@gmail.com