On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 10:42:06AM -0400, Thomas Ward wrote:

> On 7/19/21 9:48 AM, Robie Basak wrote:
> >
> > Separately, I'm unhappy about continuing any process which gives some
> > set of privileged people access to upload to backports but is
> > effectively closed to everyone else. This isn't very Ubuntu. Either the
> > privileged people need to sort out an effective review process, or the
> > pocket should generally be closed to new uploads regardless of your
> > status.
>

> Have we actually confirmed this though, Robie?� If I remember right, I was
> able to push something to -backports with my coredev once, and it didn't
> complain on the upload permissions side of things.� Unless I am forgetting
> something, it LOOKS like upload rights from Core Dev still give backports
> access...

I believe the ACL to upload to the queue is ~motu. Backporters
(~ubuntu-backporters) membership is required to approve from there.
Every upload gets held, just like an SRU really. I think any sustainable
policy would need to relax that requirement somewhat, which would imply
a measure of engineering work either in Launchpad or in tooling to
interact with the queue.

(Or something more creative, like giving everyone who can upload
UNAPPROVED queue access, and creating an expectation of peer review. But
we're close to starting to design a process here ;-) ...)

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ i...@orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ la...@debian.org ]