On 2021-09-16 11:52, Colin Watson wrote:
On 2021-09-16 01:02, Steve Langasek wrote:
Thanks for this insight!  Based on the original post, it seems to me that we
SHOULD retain ibus-m17n for Sinhala.  Is this table in gnome-settings-daemon
what ensures that it's retained?  It's unclear to me how that works,
gnome-settings-daemon is not what drives the installation and there are no
references to 'm17n' in the ubiquity source.

I think it is, without being able to point at the relevant code. At least it
works like that with the CJK languages, and it ought to work in the same way
with input languages supported by ibus-m17n.

It has been a while, but I thought that this was controlled by
/usr/share/language-selector/data/pkg_depends (in
language-selector-common).  ubiquity calls check-language-support to
query for the packages it needs to keep.

I don't see an "im:si::ibus-m17n" line in
https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/ubuntu/+source/language-selector/tree/data/pkg_depends.

Hmm.. Looks like I should add it. It makes sense whether it affects the installer behavior or not, since l-s should pull ibus-m17n if you install Sinhala after the OS installation.

In any case that table in g-s-d will add wijesekera to the list of active input sources. So both may be needed for a convenient user experience (including the live session).

Thanks Colin!

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj