> > The critical difference is that this is not a separate and
> standalone
> > utility...
>
> Yet this is the justification you're using as to why an SRU will be
> safe.

Runtime behaviour and maintenance/development workflows are very
separate and independent matters, and I've explained that at length
already.

> It seems to me that it's perfectly possible for you to arrange a
> build
> of a static binary in a PPA, and use that to solve your problem.
>
> You are also implying that the binary will not need to change again,
> so
> there's basically no technical debt there as far as I can tell,
> contrary
> to your previous claim. Especially as you're upstream for it too, so
> it's not like that's going to end up "behind" for security any more
> than
> the official Ubuntu repository that would depend on you anyway.
>
> If you don't want to ship a single binary in a PPA, then that's up to
> you. But you can't justify your request on the basis of your
> inability
> to do that, when actually it's simply your refusal to do that at the
> cost of additional risk to Ubuntu users.

It is not 'perfectly possible'. We are not going to completely overhaul
our development and maintenance practices and commit to a ton of extra
work (forever) for the sake of a mistake in the build-time
configuration of src:systemd in Jammy, sorry.

There are two possible outcomes here:

1) The executable becomes available, either in the main package or in a
new binary one in universe
2) Ubuntu is dropped as a supported platform for systemd developers,
and when they find out things don't work we tell them to switch their
machines to Debian/Fedora/SUSE/Arch/etc

I've worked out of my free time to provided the MR, testing, and the
bureaucratic homework for the first one as I believe it's in the best
interests of all parties. I've also already committed to provide the
changes for a new temporary binary package if that's the preferred
approach, and I am still happy to follow-up on that committment. I very
much prefer the first option.

If on the other hand the second option is the preferred one by the
Ubuntu team, then please let me know and we can cut it short.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi