On Thursday, September 8, 2022 9:41:23 AM PDT Erich Eickmeyer wrote:
> On Thursday, September 8, 2022 3:28:46 AM PDT Harald Sitter wrote:
> > https://invent.kde.org/system/distro-release-notifier may help
>
> Thanks, Harald! I'm working on a package for this now. I wonder why it never
> got packaged as I don't see anything resembling it in the archives? Either
> way, this needs to be packaged yesterday. I might try to get this into
> Kinetic with an FFe if it works.

I have good news! Per my testing, I have packaged this and was able to make a
functioning package. I tested it on 20.04 and it was able to detect that an
upgrade to 22.04.1 was available. I'm going to go ahead and proceed with
getting this into the NEW queue and attempt a few FFe's and SRUs to get it
backported so that we don't end up in a huge mess for 22.04 when upgrade time
comes. I do realize that an entirely new package for an existing release is
usually a huge NACK, but I feel in this case it might be justified since we
have two flavors missing out on some major release upgrade functionality.

I might be asking the release team how they feel about this, but if anyone
from the release team that has been watching this thread wants to reach out to
me with some insight, just reply to me directly.

So, this solves one problem, and it's probably the more immediate problem, so
for the topic of release upgrade notifications, I'll drop the ubuntu-devel@
from this part of the thread (which may come as a relief to some :) ).

But thanks to Harald Sitter for making me aware of this gem! I'm wondering why
it was never packaged before as it seems fairly essential.

--
Erich Eickmeyer
Project Leader - Ubuntu Studio