On 2023-01-30 17:21, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 10:45 AM Gunnar Hjalmarsson
<gunna...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
For a standard Ubuntu installation in some European language this
does not make a difference, since the fonts-noto-core package is
not included in the desktop ISO. But as soon as you install
fonts-noto-core — for whatever reason — the default font for e.g.
web browsing will change to Noto.

Could we still default to the Ubuntu font and fall back to the Noto
family for scripts that the Ubuntu font doesn't handle?

My understanding is that we only use the Ubuntu font for the desktop. It's set in this file:

/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/10_ubuntu-settings.gschema.override

And that setting overrides fontconfig, so this new fontconfig preference won't change the default font used for the desktop.

As far as I know the Ubuntu font has never been used (by default) for web browsing. DejaVu has.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj