Hi,

> I guess something in do-release-upgrade could be run to, when encountering
> such a situation, automatically select bin:samba-vfs-modules-extra for the
> upgrade as well? Is it worth it? Is there a precedence for something like
> this? And how would this be done in a more generic/general case, if at all?

We have the concept of "quirks"[1] in ubuntu-release-upgrader which
allows us to handle special cases like this. For example, a cycle or
two ago when flatpak was removed from flavor seeds, we added some code
to not auto-remove flatpak if it appeared the user was actively using
it. So yes, if nothing else we could add a quirk to make sure
samba-vfs-modules-extra is installed upgrades if samba-vfs-modules is
currently installed.

Thanks,
Nick

[1]