On Jan 17, 2010, at 10:45 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

>I spent some time over the holidays giving merging via bzr and the UDD tools.
>I understand that development of the tools to support this is still a work in
>progress and the much of this feedback probably represents work that you
>already know needs doing.  This mail is based on notes I took recently while
>doing a merge of regina-normal.  As merges go, it was not a complex one.

This is good stuff Scott.  It mirrors some of my recent experience using UDD
to do various kinds of development.  Of course, my packaging experience is
weeks old, not years old :), so I don't have much comparison of the
traditional way to draw on.

>The UDD equivalent seems to be:
>
>$bzr branch lp:ubuntu/regina-normal regina-normal
>$password for ssh key

ssh-agent helps here so that you only have to enter this once.

>$cd regina-normal
>$bzr merge-package lp:debian/squeeze/regina-normal
>
>Text conflict in debian/changelog
>1 conflicts encountered.
>The merge resulted in 1 conflicts. Please resolve these and commit the changes
>with "bzr commit".
>
>This gives me the proposed merge.  The conflict in this case seems to occur
>with every merge I try.  The most recent Debian and Ubuntu debian/changelog
>entries conflict with each other and the file has to be edited to move the
>most recent Debian entry above the most recent Ubuntu entry.

Yep, I noticed exactly the same thing.
>To get ready to start to work on the actual merge, I need to also do:
>
>$ vim debian/changelog (re-arrange as described)
>$ bzr resolve
>All conflicts resolved.

Emacs to the rescue here (for the crazy people who use it :).  Emacs
auto-resolves files when you save them.  It's a nice convenience that hasn't
bitten me yet :).

>Step 3 checking the package:
>
>At this point I want to check the package against the previous Debian and
>Ubuntu packages to make sure I have it correct.  Traditionally, I would
>locally debdiff the proposed merge with both the previous Debian and Ubuntu
>packages to make sure I had documented all of the Ubuntu diff and not lost any
>needed changes in the merge.  To do it the new way, I did:
>
>$bzr diff --old lp:debian/squeeze/regina-normal | less
>ssh key
>(repeat, including redownloading each time the diff is done)

It would probably be better branch these locally if you're going to do a lot
of diffing.

>I know a huge amount of work has gotten to getting things as far as they are.
>This feedback is not meant to miminize this accomplishment.  I do not,
>however, feel like this facility is really ready for general use yet.

I think it would make sense to submit bug reports to help streamline things,
but I'm not sure where those bug reports would go.  On the bzr-builddeb plugin
on Launchpad?

-Barry