Hi,

In order to get a better feel for the effect of import failures, I took
a look at the packages in main.

Currently there are 3292 packages in main. When I started looking there
were 305 failures, which was just below 10%. While going through the
failures I was able to solve around 80 there and then, which takes us to
a current failure rate of ~7%.

I then looked at all the failures and ensured there were bugs filed,
tagging them all "import-failure" and "main", so we can see the current
list at

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/udd/+bugs?field.tag=main

With 228 failures and 29 bugs there is quite a skewed distribution, and
the two bugs causing the most failures are:

  "Packages failing due to pristine-tar not being able to reconstruct
  their tarball" - https://bugs.launchpad.net/udd/+bug/653301

and

  "Import fails with missing referenced chk root keys" -
  https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/udd/+bug/653307

totalling ~100 failures in main.

The reason that the first is so high is that something seems to have
changed recently that means that most of the KDE packages can no longer
be handled by pristine tar.

I then turned this in to an almost-live page at

  http://package-import.ubuntu.com/status/main.html

(up to 5 minutes behind the current action)

Thanks,

James