On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Max Bowsher <_...@maxb.eu> wrote:
> On 18/07/11 21:24, James Westby wrote:
>>> And of course, if the package has *ever* had an Ubuntu specific upload,
>>> that's an AppendRevisionsOnlyViolation.
>>>
>>> So we've actually found a bug here :-(
>>
>> Yeah, I think the logic should be to do a merge taking all the content
>> from Ubuntu, with the parents being (debian, ubuntu)?
>
> Well... The logic *should* be to have imported into the Debian branch
> first and then merged into the Ubuntu branch, such that this situation
> never arises.

I don't think thats correct.

Firstly, some devs upload the same version to both Ubuntu and Debian
(typically identically), and we need to handle that (both identical
and not).

Secondly, if someone reconciles Debian and Ubuntu they may discard
interim versions when merging into Debian (not recommended, but
happens) - if that happens we still want the Ubuntu series-of-uploads
to be correct [that is, we need to keep the tags for Ubuntu intact,
and the history intact].

Rob