On Sep 23, 2011, at 12:42 AM, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

>On 09/22/2011 05:14 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>> It would certainly be more useful to have ubuntu:gtimelog share history
>> with lp:gtimelog, but I think it would be best in that case if
>> ubuntu:gtimelog only version controlled the debian directory.

>Why would this be better than actually having all of the history there? It
>seems to me like that would mostly just add extra overhead because you have
>to fetch two branches rather than one.

Right, I was thinking something like svn:externals where you wouldn't have an
explicit second checkout, it would just happen automatically.

But you're right that this still makes things more complicated, and I guess
the effect of sharing history and having the full source would be the same,
without the extra complication.

>I use "bzr merge-upstream" to merge new upstream versions into the packaging
>branches of bzr, samba4, heimdal and various other projects .  See for
>example the ubuntu:bzr branch (although that seems to be out of date at the
>moment).

Yep, I do the same thing.  The nice thing there is that I don't have to worry
about packaging unreleased changes.  The downside is that I have to do an
upstream release to test some new packaged version.  And that there's no
shared history. :)

>The practice of versioning debian/ only mostly seems to happen if the VCS
>used is SVN. Even then, there are a couple of teams that import the full
>upstream source into SVN.
>
>I think I've seen more Git repositories that include the full source than
>repositories that don't.

I just want to blink my eyes, click my heels, wave my wand and make those git
repositories speak bzr instead. :)

-Barry