On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 09:32:28 +0100, Vincent Ladeuil <vila+...@canonical.com>
wrote:
> True, but I'm not saying your plan is *bad* for udd, quite the
> contrary. And yes, sharing some service to query launchpad sounds also
> like a good idea (I think I mention adding pkgme to mass_import and
> that's one of the points I had in mind). But this can achieved only by
> either running both pkgme and udd on the same host or add yet another
> layer to access the db remotely. In both cases, what I'm saying is that
> udd has already higher priorities.

My plan is delete add-import-jobs, and an a POST handler that gets told
when there are new packages to scan.

add-import-jobs would then move somewhere else (could be the same
machine)

That's perhaps what you mean by another layer. It's not a priority for
udd, but even while drafting this mail there's a conversation going on
about another service that would want the same information.

We can take what we have from udd and turn it in to an enabler for lots
of other useful things.

>     > I would be worried about the risks involved with changing
>     > production udd in such a large way at once. The steps I outlined
>     > here would involve targeted production changes that should be much
>     > easier to debug.
>
> But if you follow these steps during your rewrite, nothing forbids
> following them when deploying once we know you've fully debugged them
> right ?

Except that any feedback from earlier steps has to be incorporated after
completing later steps, so you may have to undo lots of work.

>     >> Both projects will benefit from this separation:
>     >>
>     >> - pkgme can go ahead without caring for udd needs, as long as the
> actual
>     >> code base evolve by separating old features from the new ones with a
>     >> reasonable effort to make the new ones easier to integrate.
>
>     > I don't think that's true. It's not like we don't care about udd,
>     > and if we make changes without regard for it
>
> Why would you do that ?

"pkgme can go ahead without caring for udd needs"

The easiest way for us to make changes caring for udd is to have prompt
feedback about the way it is affecting udd.

Thanks,

James