I just want to put this out there for the historical record.  I think this is
a rare enough use case that UDD doesn't need to address, certainly not any
time soon, if ever.  OTOH, maybe there's an easy workaround.

I was working on an NBS for the fgfs-atlas package (LP: #903225).  The
solution was straightforward enough: upstream had all the necessary fixes in
their CVS repository, but hadn't done a release in a long time.  I twiddled
the packaging to build an orig.tar.gz from CVS, and the googlez helped find
some good general packaging information on how to do this.

Unfortunately, UDD is essentially useless here.  The problem is that after
creating the tarball from CVS, `bzr bd -S` can't be used because dpkg-source
will complain too much about deltas between the tarball and the source tree.
It'll warn about a lot of stuff, but then fail with some unrepresentable
changes to source.

I worked around this by unpacking the new orig.tar.gz and `cp -a` the debian/
directory from the precise version of the package (with my changes) over into
the unpacked tarball.  After a few rounds of tweaking, and using `debuild -S
-sa`, I had a debian/ that built locally, so I uploaded it and will let the
importer (hopefully) sort out the mess.

I still did all my changes to debian/ in a source branch though, because that
made it easier to get a diff for the linked Debian bug.

Is there's a magical udd switch or config setting that would have helped me
keep all the changes in the source branch?  It seems like this is somewhat
similar to the merge-upstream issue when upstream has a rather large released
tarball delta.

Cheers,
-Barry