On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 22:02 -0500, Scott Moser wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Mar 2012, James Westby wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 17:15:24 -0500 (EST), Scott Moser <smo...@ubuntu.com>
> > wrote:
> > > I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but not sure what.
> > > I'm trying to just set up a launchpad build of two branches, one 'trunk'
> > > that launchpad is pulling from an svn repo, and a packaging only branch.
> > >
> > > I'm not quite sure why there would be expected to be a tag
> > > 'upstream-0.9.4+r4177' as that string is something that was created due to
> > > this build recipe.  But the working-dir has in it a directory named
> > > 'madwifi-0.9.4+r4177' and debian/changelog in that says:

> > > Which seems sane to me.  The upstream source doesn't have tags named
> > > 'upstream-<version>', but only 'release-<version>'.
> > >
> > > Help?
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > bzr: ERROR: Unable to find the upstream source. Import it as tag
> > > upstream-0.9.4+r4177 or build with --allow-fallback-to-native.
> >
> > Your version number is saying this is a non-native package, which
> > requires an upstream tarball to build against.
>
> Well, its not a native package, so it makes sense (to me) that the
> version number would reflect that.
Non-native packages require a .orig.tar.gz. bzr-builder tries to
retrieve the contents of that tarball by taking the contents of the tree
at that particular tag.

> > bzr-builder expects that tarball to have been imported by bzr-builddeb,
> > which would have created that tag.
> >
> > You can fix this by either:
> >
> >   * Importing the upstream tarball
>
> I really just must be missing something.
>
> The point of this exercise is to get a per-commit build of upstream.  For
> each commit upstream, there isn't going to be a upstream tarball to
> import.  I could 'import-upstream 0.9.4 madwifi-0.9.4.tar.gz', but in
> testing here, that made no difference.
>
> In an attempt to debug this, I tried to go to the only other daily build
> recipe that I've done:
> https://code.launchpad.net/~smoser/+recipe/euca2ools-daily
>
> I put the following into a recipe (euca.recipe) and issued
> $ sed 's,^,| ,' euca.recipe
> | # bzr-builder format 0.3 deb-version
> | # 2.0.0~bzr{revno}~{revno:packaging}-0ubuntu2
> | lp:euca2ools
> | nest-part packaging lp:~smoser/ubuntu/oneiric/euca2ools/upstream-pkg debian
> debian
> $ bzr dailydeb euca.recipe working-dir
>
> Now, this recipe has built successfully the last trunk commit (516) to
> euca2ools on launchpad.  But locally, I see the same error:
>
> bzr: ERROR: Unable to find the upstream source. Import it as tag
> upstream-2.0.0~bzr516~42 or build with --allow-fallback-to-native.
>
> The full output can be seen at http://paste.ubuntu.com/866071/ .
>
> >   * Changing the version number to have no "-", making it a native
> >     version number.
> >   * Or build with --allow-fallback-to-native, which will ignore all of
> >     this and build the native package despite the version number
What is the source format the package uses? Is it "3.0 (quilt)" perhaps?

> I did verify that '--allow-fallback-to-native' worked, but it is just
> confusing to me, as this is clearly not a native package, and somehow the
> recipe above works, and works on launchpad.
This makes sense, as Launchpad has --allow-fallback-to-native enabled by
default.

Cheers,

Jelmer