On 03/30/2014 09:31 AM, Samuel Monsarrat wrote:
Hi,

I wanted to install Ubuntu GNOME from a standard Ubuntu net boot ISO. once the
base system is installed the installer gives one a long list of choices, LAMP
server, ubuntu-desktop, kubuntu-desktop,
lubuntu-desktop etc.
Nowhere in this list could I find an entry to install the standard Ubuntu GNOME
desktop. since Ubuntu GNOME is now an official flavor I feel that it should be
included in this list.
Is there something I am missing ? and how to install Ubuntu GNOME such as the
"normal" live CD would do directly from a base install off a neboot ISO ?

Samuel.

Hi Samuel,

I imagine we'll need to either file a bug report against 'tasksel' or maybe Tim could discuss this with Colin Watson? I did discuss the mini.iso with Jeremy Bicha clear back in Raring:

https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-gnome/msg00249.html

Before we request 'ubuntu-gnome-desktop' be added to 'tasksel' we need to figure out what exactly we want it to "install". I'm performing a CLI test install now and I could see that just installing only 'ubuntu-gnome-desktop' pulls in some unwanted Unity packages such as 'unity-settings-daemon'.

I know that package is not installed in a default Ubuntu GNOME install because it gets pulled in when I install 'gnome-session-flashback', so I assume we need to have 'tasksel' install either 'gnome-shell' or 'gnome-session' before proceeding with the installation of 'ubuntu-gnome-desktop'?

Any thoughts Tim?

I'll be glad to perform any testing needed.

Lance